Friday, February 13, 2009

Music Reviews?

Two sites I visit daily are Pitchfork and DrownedInSound. They're music review sites, which means they're full of stuff like this:
Major General moves a fair piece between the Hüsker Dü-like urgency of opener "Jeff Penalty" to the loungey, languid closer "I'm Done Singing", hitting mid-1990s alt-rock, tipsy Billy Joel balladry, Sunday afternoon swing, and Eastern European folk-tinged rave-ups along the way. I can't quite tell if "Jeff Penalty" is a highlight or the highlight, but it's certainly a winner, spinning a note-perfect yarn of seeing the Jello Biafra-less Dead Kennedys revue. In Nicolay's tale, the crowd reluctantly accepts "Jeff Whatisname" and refuses to stop believin'. It's as good a song about navigating aging in the scene-- never selling out, after all, just turns you into the old guy in the room-- as any on the Hold Steady's Stay Positive, and if they were to slip it into a setlist sometime soon, they wouldn't miss a step.
Now, I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I don't find that helpful. It would be interesting if you were really into the band in question & cared about every detail of what they do, but when you're looking for recommendations as to what to listen to, is that what you look for? And can a review really tell you why something is any good or not?

What I look for in these reviews is the bit where they tell you what other music it sounds like - because if it's similar to something I already like then I'll probably like it, if not I probably won't. Everyone has things they like, and there's little rhyme or reason to that - at the moment I'm listening to a lot of
Darker My Love, The Aliens, and 1990s Greenday, but I couldn't tell you why. I just like them. And I'll probably like stuff which sounds like them. That's what having a certain taste is, surely.

That's why Pandora, last.fm and other automatic music-recommendation engines are rapidly becoming more useful to me than reviewers. You can type a band or a song into Pandora and it'll recommend other music that sounds like it. Perfect. Except that at the moment Pandora only works if you live in the US, for copyright reasons...

No comments:

Post a Comment