Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Clumsy Feminism

I have already discussed my intense disappointment with the feminist group on my campus. It often seems to me that feminist organizations such as ours are dedicated to making feminism as unpalatable to everybody as possible. Look at the following announcement for "Womyn's Herstory Month" that appeared on a billboard in my building:


Not only is all this "herstory" and "womyn" stuff beyond outdated, it also is extremely heavy-handed and graceless. It's nothing but a remnant of the times when feminism did all it could to scare away huge numbers of people. We are located in the Bible Belt, and it's difficult as it is to get students to listen to anything even remotely feminist. Such clumsy efforts at introducing our student body to feminism will only end up making them see it as irrelevant and boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment