Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dreaming Versus Sleeping

When I tell people about my dreams, they always respond that I'm extremely lucky and they envy me. Because my dreams are vivid, colorful, complex, and very real. There are, for example, "adventure dreams" with very convoluted plots and stunning special effects. If you have seen the movie Inception, you have an idea what my adventure dreams look like.

There are also "experience dreams" where I experience things I never do in real life. Do you know what it feels to have an airplane fall on your head? I kind of do because this is one of my most frequent dreams. I also have been struck by a lightning (it really hurts, too), shot, and thrown out of a window. I have traveled in outer space and climbed a volcano.

Then there are "artistic dreams." I would hear a symphony orchestra music or an opera in the dream. And I'd really hear them. The sound quality is always great.

I also have "colorful dreams." Sometimes in such dreams, I would see amazing, complex fireworks that would cover the night sky. Or I'd see everything around me appear in a breathtakingly beautiful, sparkly color that doesn't exist in nature.

There are food dreams, as well. Tonight, for example, I stuffed myself with crab soufflés while I slept. The funny thing is that I always really feel the taste of what I'm eating. I don't like desserts but in my dreams I end up in pastry shops or chocolate factories more often than not. Maybe the reason why I'm indifferent to desserts in real life is that I eat too many of them while I sleep.

Having such an active dream life is quite a burden. Sometimes, you just want to rest instead of participating in car chases, bank robberies and chocolate tastings. I'd like to have at least a couple of nights a week when I have no dreams at all. I don't remember a single dream-free night, though. 

Does anybody have any idea why this happens to me at all? 

No comments:

Post a Comment